At this point in time social distancing and sheltering in place are the most effective ways we can combat the spread of COVID-19. In an effort to help our patients and community we are suspending treatments in the Bombshelter Medspa for the next 4 weeks. If you have an appointment scheduled, we will be in contact with you to reschedule that appointment.
Additionally, for our dermatology patients we will be utilizing telemedicine technology to protect you and our staff. If after your telemedicine appointment it is deemed necessary for you to come into the office, we will schedule an appointment.
As we have all been directed not to flood the ERs and clinics unnecessarily, please feel free to contact our office with any questions or concerns including but not limited to; rash, unhealing spot/wound, allergy symptoms, cold and flu symptoms, anxiety about COVID-19, we will help set your mind at ease, provide medication refills, provide the care you need or guide you to additional resources.
Instead of just talking and posting about flattening the curve, lets take action and stop this so we all can get on with 2020.
Published on Mar 10th, 2020 by Jeffrey Sobell
There is no guidance at this time from the Centers of Disease Control (CDC) or the Department of Public Health on how psoriasis patients should respond to the Coronavirus (Covid-19) epidemic, nor are there good studies in the literature for physicians to use as a basis for recommendations. As a result, we at Atomic Dermatology have no advice that we can give that is based on proven data. Nonetheless, Dr. Jeffrey Sobell, an internationally renowned psoriasis expert, shared his opinion. Here is what he says:
For psoriasis patients on biologics (Enbrel, Humira, Remicade, Cimzia, Stelara, Cosentyx, Taltz, Siliq, Tremfya, Ilumya, Skyrizi)
For patients who have been healthy on their biologic up to now with no obvious increase in infection rate, continuing therapy LIKELY WILL NOT increase their risk of contracting the virus. Furthermore, if an infection should occur, it is NOT LIKELY that their ability to fight the infection will be affected. But, of course, as with any significant infection, patients should hold future doses until they fully recover.
With that being said, if psoriasis patients are still concerned and would rather hold their biologic medication for now, that is certainly a reasonable option. But keep in mind the following two issues:
1) The psoriasis will recur. Depending on the specific biologic, half the psoriasis returns on average in 3 to 6 months.
2) Restarting the biologic after a long break may or may not work as well as their previous experience to control their psoriasis.
For psoriasis patients on oral prescriptions
For patients on Cyclosporine and Methotrexate, Dr. Sobell advises to reduce the dose to the lowest possible that still adequately controls their symptoms. For patients on Otezla, as it is not associated with a high risk of infection, it is reasonable to continue at the current dose. But, should a significant infection occur while under any of these three treatments, Dr. Sobell would hold future doses of all three of these medications until the infection has completely resolved.
For all patients
Our best defense against infection is proper hand hygiene and avoidance of close contact with people showing signs of respiratory illness.
If you have specific concerns about your psoriasis therapy and Covid-19, contact your dermatologist or physician.
For Acne on oral prescriptions (Amnesteen, Myorisan, Accutane, Claravis, Sotret, Zenatane)
For patients on Isotretinoin, this medication does not impair the immune system so it is acceptable to continue.